Reconstruction of the intersection of
Brookline Boulevard and Pioneer Avenue in 1935.
The Brookline community, one of the
many residential neighborhoods that make up the City of Pittsburgh, was
developed in the early 1900s. Prior to that, the region known as West
Liberty Borough, or Lower Saint Clair Township, was mainly populated by
scattered family farms. Mining enterprises also dotted the landscape.
Starting in 1902, a few housing
tracts appeared along West Liberty Avenue, near the Brookline Junction.
When the Pittsburgh Railways Company brought the high-speed electric
traction line to Brookline, development began in earnest.
By 1908, the community had grown
to a point where it was annexed into the City of Pittsburgh. From then
on, commercial and residential development accelerated.
There were four distinct phases
of residential construction: the early development period from 1900 to
1910, the housing boom of the 1920s, the post-war era of the 1940s and
the Renaissance I migration in the 1950s.
Fleming Place/Hughey Farms Real
Estate Advertisements from 1902
Estate Advertisements from 1905-1907
Estate Brochures from 1924-1926
Estate Advertisements from 1930
Up until 1950, the growth
of Brookline can be charted in an illustration of the
various subdivisions that make up the neighborhood. These
tracts of land were built upon when the original landowners made them
available to developers.
<The 72 Brookline Developmental
Subdivisions As Of 1950>
<Map Showing Growth Of
Sewer line being repaired at the intersection
of Queensboro and Berkshire Avenues in 1933.
Early development was done by
the West Liberty Improvement Company, the Freehold Real Estate Company,
the City of Pittsburgh, and the various parochial institutions. Infrastructure
installation was handled mainly by the city, the railway company and
the various utility companies.
In the decades that followed the 1950s,
new home construction was limited to a few houses here or there. The main
changes were civic infrastructure improvements, the expansion of the public
and parochial institutions, the addition of two high-rise senior apartment
complexes and the development of the 20-acre tract of land known as the
Anderson Farm into Brookline Memorial Park.
It's interesting to note
that back in the 1920s, a home buyer could purchase a lot, then select
the home of their choice through the Sears Catalog. All of the necessary
building materials would be shipped to the construction site and the home
built by local contractors. One example of these Catalog homes was The Fullerton. Sears homes were very popular and make up a large portion
of the housing stock erected during that era.
Altmar Street extension, looking north
towards Whited Street, during construction in 1946.
Below are links to some interesting
photos from the various stages of Brookline's development. They give a small
glimpse of how the community as seen today came into being.