The Fort Pitt Hotel
The Fort Pitt Hotel was located at Penn Avenue at Tenth Street, on the eastern edge of Pittsburgh’s Golden Triangle. The building was once considered one of Pittsburgh’s most elegant hotels. The hotel was built in two sections; the eight-story section at Tenth and Penn Avenue was constructed in 1905. The eleven-story tower addition was added in 1909.
The ornately decorated interior of the Fort Pitt Hotel featured several themed rooms, like the Writing Room, the English Room, and the world-renowned Norse Room, which was decorated entirely of Rockwood tiles. The Norse Room included nine large wall panels depicting Longfellow’s poem, “The Skeleton in Armor.” The masterpiece, designed by John Dee Wareham, was finished in 1909 at a cost of $85,000.
Some of the distinguished guests that stayed at the hotel were William Jennings Bryant, Eleanor Roosevelt, Stepin Fetchit, Jack Benny and Rochester, and Gene Sarazen. After sixty years as part of the Pittsburgh landscape, the Fort Pitt Hotel was razed in 1967 to make way for the Penn Park redevelopment project.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>