1. Newscaster Bill Burns used to end his newscasts with this
phrase: ________, _____ _____ and ______ ______ _________.
2. Name two members of the Rooney family.
3. Pittsburgh once had a bridge to ________.
4. What was Ricki Wertz' dog's name?
5. Famous Pittsburgh DJ: Clark ________.
6. What was Bill Cardille's nickname?
7. What pro wrestling champ was from Pittsburgh?
8. Paul Long's news partner was Don ________.
9. Name the parts of a Primanti's cheese steak sandwich,
10. What was Bob Prince's nickname?
11. Myron Cope invented the Terrible ________.
12. What tunnels are on the Parkway West?
13. What tunnels are on the Parkway East?
14. What is the Pittsburgh subway system called?
15. Paul Shannon hosted: __________ _______.
16. Nosmo King was played by: ________ ________.
17. Franco Harris is best known for his "__________ Reception" in
the 1972 playoffs.
18. What part of Pittsburgh was Forbes Field in?
19. What part of Pittsburgh was Three Rivers Stadium
20. Name the three rivers in Pittsburgh?
21. What number did Roberto Clemente wear?
22. What number did Joe Greene wear?
23. If you go up the Monongahela Incline, where will it take
24. What state park is located in downtown
25. Name the first radio station in Pittsburgh?
26. During the '70s, what radio station encouraged their listeners
to answer their phones with "I listen to the new sound of
27. The host of Dialing for Dollars was Del
28. The host of Bowling for Dollars was Nick
29. The host of "Popeye and Knish" was Hank
30. Steeler Jack Lambert said, "Quarterbacks should ______
31. Saturday morning Tarzan Theatre was hosted by Don
32. The minor league hockey team in Pittsburgh was the
33. The two ABA franchises in Pittsburgh were the ________ and the
34. "Spread some chicken on the hill with ________."
35. "Who can? __________."
36. "Ring a ling a ling give ________ a ring."
37. "Century Three Chevrolet _________ _______ ______
38. "Eat n Park's the place for ________."
39. What cabaret type showroom was located in
40. Name four quarterbacks from the Pittsburgh area who played in
the Super Bowl (there are more than four)?
41. Who played Handy Man Negri on Mister Roger's
42. What section of Pittsburgh would you go to buy fruits and
43. The Civic Arena is located just below what area of
44. What three Pittsburgh colleges play Division I
45. Wholey's is known for ________.
46. The Pittsburgh WTT tennis team was the
47. Pittsburgh railroad workers did a dance while they worked. It
became known as ________ ________.
48. The first owner of the Steelers was:
49. The paddle boats on the rivers are the ________
50. The Pittsburgh USFL team was the _________.
51. Pittsburgh's indoor soccer teams were the ________ and the
52. The tallest building in Pittsburgh:
53. What is the oldest bridge in downtown
Pittsburgh, built in the 1880s?
54. What two forts occupied the area of Point State Park in the
55. What is the oldest surviving building in downtown Pittsburgh,
dating back to the late-1700's?
56. What was the first automobile tunnel linking the South Hills
and downtown Pittsburgh?
57. What was the original name of Three Rivers
58. Which broadcaster replaced Bob Prince as the voice of the
59. What Carly Simon song did Heinz use to promote ketchup in the
60. What was the name of the Pittsburgh Pirates original baseball
61. Pittsburgh mills provided all of the steel framework for
what well-known building in New York City?
62. "Open up the window, _____ _______, here it
63. Bob Prince replaced ______ ________ as the Pirates radio
64. "Michael, Michael, ___________"
65. What is the significance of the blinking red beacon atop the
Grant Building in downtown Pittsburgh?
66. What is the significance of the blue or red light atop the Gulf
Building in downtown Pittsburgh?
67. What firm operated the Pittsburgh trolley system prior to the
68. What was the year of the great St. Patrick's Day
69. What year did the Pitt Panther football team win the Rose
70. What year did the Pirates win their first world
71. Name the four members of the original Steel
72. Who replaced Terry Bradshaw as the Steelers starting
73. Who was the Steelers first 1000 yard rusher?
74. The 1979 World Champion Pirates were known as "The
75. Before being annexed by the city of Pittsburgh, the North Side
area was known as __________ _____.
76. John A. Roebling, the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge, built
what two suspension bridges in Pittsburgh in the 1800s?
77. The city of Pittsburgh is named for what 18th century English
Prime Minister: ________ ______.
78. Pittsburgh was under seige during what indian
79. During the heyday of the steel industry, Pittsburgh was known
as "The ________ City."
80. During the war years (1943-1944), the Pittsburgh Steelers
merged with what two NFL teams?
81. Pittsburgh tennis professional Vitas Gerulaitis had a fan
club called "Vitas' _________."
82. The first newspaper west of the Alleghenies was the __________
___________, founded in 1786.
83. What was the name of the city's first indoor mall, located in
84. What Pirate player hit the homerun to win the 1960 World
85. What was the original name of the Pittsburgh
86. What was the original name of the Pittsburgh
87. Name the two bridges at Pittsburgh's Point prior to the Fort
Pitt and Fort Duquesne bridges.
88. The Parkway East is also refered to as the ______-_______
89. What company was founded, in Tarentum, in 1883 to make plate
90. What department store was once located on the corner of
Smithfield and Fifth?
91. What department store was once located on the corner of
Smithfield and Sixth?
92. What department store was once located on the corner of
Sixth and Liberty?
93. What amusement park opened in 1898 as a trolley park and picnic
94. Forbes Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh was once known as
95. Who was the first Mayor of Pittsburgh, elected
96. Pittsburgh was chartered as a borough in the year _______ and
was upgraded to city status in the year _______.
97. Pittsburgh in the 1800s, like St. Louis today, was refered to
as the "________ __ ___ _____."
98. In 1892, Pinkertons and State Militia fought striking
steelworkers at Andrew Carnegie's _________ _______.
99. In 1949, ____________ opened its first restaurant on Rt.
100. Name the four Pittsburgh newspapers in circulation in
101. The Wabash tunnels were remodeled in the 1960s for what
unrealized light-rail system?
102. Who was Mayor of Pittsburgh during Renaissance
103. Who was Mayor of Pittsburgh during Renaissance
104. What was the name of Franco Harris fan
105. What was the name of Roy Gerela's fan
106. What country singer warned listeners not to "lay a hand on a
Pittsburgh Steeler fan?"
107. Name three local amusement parks in the 1960s?
108. Who sang the song "There's a pawn shop on the corner
in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania"?
109. What was the downtown location of the original U.S. Steel
110. What Grant Street hotel occupied the now vacant lot between
the U.S. Steel Building and the Mellon Building?
111. What was the year of the "Great Fire" that destroyed most
of downtown Pittsburgh?
112. Singer/Dancer Gene Kelly attended what Pittsburgh
113. What Steeler lineman was known for his gold colored
114. Former Steeler Ernie Holmes was recognized for what unique
115. Who was the Steelers first 1000 yard receiver?
116. Name the three Steeler linebackers who started in the
Pro Bowl in 1975.
117. What nationwide restaurant chain was started by former Steeler
greats, including Mel Blount?
118. Who was the starting quarterback on Pitt's 1976 National
119. What well-known actor, of "Batman" fame, once worked as a
copy-boy at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette?
120. Pittsburgh's first heavyweight title fight, in July 1951,
featured _______ ____ ________ versus _________
121. What Soviet Premier visited Pittsburgh?
122. What University of Pittsburgh doctor discovered the vaccination
123. Roberto Clemente recorded exactly _______ hits as a
124. Name four major industries in the Pittsburgh area in the
125. The ___________ Club, on Sixth Avenue, hosted president
Ulysses S. Grant at its gala opening social event.
126. The 80-ton ________ Gun was built in Pittsburgh during the
civil war. It was the largest cannon in the world at the
127. During World War II, landing craft were assembled on
128. What Revolutionary War General made several notable river
crossings near Pittsburgh?
129. Name the four historic landmarks in Kennywood
130. "We've got a feeling, Pittsburgh's going to ___ ______
131. The _______ Building in downtown Pittsburgh, built in 1951, was
a pioneering achievement in the use of aluminum in
132. In the 1800s, due to Pittsburgh's diverse immigrant
population working in the local mills, the city was dubbed a
"________ _____" of cultures.
133. In 1877, striking workers of the ____________ Railroad
rioted for two days in Pittsburgh, causing millions of dollars in damage
and hundreds of lives lost.
134. Before railroads moved west, travellers to Pittsburgh from the
east came via the Pennsylvania ______.
135. Mount Washington sits atop _____ Hill.
136. In July of 1755, English General Edward Braddock was fatally
wounded by French and Indian forces during the battle of "_________
137. Name the Pitt Panther running back who won the Heisman Trophy
138. Pirate batters Rennie Stennett, Richie Hebner, Manny
Sanguillen, Richie Zisk, Al Oliver, Willie Stargell and
Dave Parker were known as "The ________ Company."
139. What KDKA sports personality was known for his outlandish
jackets and candid commentaries?
140. Name Pittsburgh's rare father/daughter news anchor
141. Name six of the puppet characters in Mister Roger's
"Neighborhood of Make Believe." (there were twelve)
142. Steeler Jack Lambert's fan club was called _________
143. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette merged with what newspaper in
144. In the 1970s, the following writers covered pro sports for the
Post-Gazette: Steelers - Vito _________; Pirates - Charlie _________;
Penguins - Bob _________.
145. What Pittsburgh area golf course hosted the U.S. Open and the
146. Post-Gazette writer _______ Parascenzo covers the professional
147. In the decade of the 70s, Pittsburgh was known as "The City
148. Pittsburgh's Point is home to what annual boating
149. What number did Mario Lemieux wear?
150. The Pittsburgh Penguins won back-to-back Stanley Cups
in what years?
151. Name the Penguins two Stanley Cup coaches?
152. Mr. McFeeley is known for his "_______ _______"
153. What team did the Pirates beat in the 1971 and 1979 World
154. Who was the last Pirate pitcher to throw a
155. Who refered to Raider's George Atkinson and Jack
Tatum as part of the "criminal element."
156. What Steeler running backs both rushed for 1000 yards in
157. What Pirate pitcher threw a 13-inning no-hitter and lost
158. What Pirate hit safely in 14 consecutive World Series
159. Pittsburgh's USFL team featured what Heisman Trophy winning
160. The Benedum Theatre was once known as the ________
161. Wealthy industrialist ________ _________ left a legacy of
public libraries throughout the Pittsburgh area.
162. The Pittsburgh Pirates new stadium, opened in 2001, is
called _____ ______.
163. The three local wave pools are located at what county
164. The downtown stretch of the "Boulevard of the Allies" was once
called ______ ______.
165. In 1869, Pittsburgh entrepreneur _____ _________ invented
the air brake for heavy trains.
166. The first Pittsburgh incline, built in 1870, was the
167. What Grant Street historic landmark was built in 1888, and
further enlarged in 1903?
168. What radio personality introduced the space characters Omnicron
169. What popular amusement park was located at Bigelow Blvd. and
Craig Street in the early 1900s?
170. What Pittsburgh Bishop, who served locally from 1959 through
1969, was elevated to Cardinal by Pope Paul VI?
171. Houston coach Bum Phillips said, "The road to the ______ _____
goes through Pittsburgh, Pa."
172. On Mister Roger's Neighborhood viewers were transported to the
"Neighborhood of Make Believe" on the red _________.
173. Handiman Negri was joined by characters ____ Dog and _____
Aberlaine in Mister Roger's "Neighborhood of Make
174. Pirate ______ ________ was named MVP in the 1979 World
175. What former Pirate second baseman managed the team to
World Series victories in the sixties and seventies?
176. Prior to Three Rivers Stadium, the Steelers played their home
games at what local venue?
177. Steeler quarterback _____ _________ was named MVP in Super Bowl
XIII and XIV.
178. The Port Authority's East Busway is known as the ______ ______
179. The submarine currently docked at the Carnegie Science Center
is the USS _________.
180. Downtown Pittsburgh is commonly referred to as "The ________
181. Captain Jim sailed on which ship?
182. "It's 11pm. Do you know where ______ __________
183. What were the former call letters of WPXI
184. After a Pirate win, announcer Bob Prince would say "We _____
____ ____ ____!"
185. Where is Forbes Field's home plate now?
186. Name the popular Pittsburgh fast-food hamburger joint prior
187. What quarterback led the Pittsburgh Steelers to Super Bowl
188. What scholarly Steeler quarterback once made reference to the
windy conditions at Three Rivers Stadium as "the wind blowing off the
189. Name the local 11:30pm Saturday evening fright show during the
60s and 70s?
190. What was the nickname of KQV during the groovy
60s and 70s?
191. What was the consolation prize if you answered
a question wrong on Dialing/Bowling for dollars?
192. Name of popular late-night KDKA radio talk show
host: ________ __________.
193. What two Pirate stars from the championship teams of the 1920s
were known as "Big Poison" and "Little Poison"?
194. What former Steeler quarterback led the Kansas
City Chiefs to a Super Bowl victory in the 1970s?
195. Name the quiz show that was hosted by Ricki Wertz on Sunday
afternoons and featured local high school students?
196. Can you name both "The Prankster" and "The Fudgemaker" from
197. Who was Bill Burn's co-host before teaming up with daughter
198. Name the tart sold by KDKA radio morning DJ's during Christmas
199. Name the former Pirate chief photographer and Post-Gazette
staff photographer, whose sequence photos of Bill Mazeroski's 1960 World
Series winning homer now hang in the Baseball Hall of Fame in
200. Name the final three Allegheny County Commissioners before the
advent of our new form of county government, which is comprised of a
County Council and Chief Executive?
So, How'd Ya
<Click here to
view the answers>
* Compiled by Clint
Burton - May 28, 2000 *